Resadiye peninsula is located east part of Datca peninsula. The peninsula is surrounded by Simi, Tilos, Nisyros Islands in the south, Stongyli and Kos Islands in the west, Bodrum Peninsula in the north. There is Knidos ancient city on Resadiye Peninsula. Knidos which was one of the most important cities of the Caria area was established between Kos and Rhodes Islands. It is the second Dorian city after Halicarnossus. The Dorians came from Peleponnes and set up Knidos after Rhodes and Kos Island. Strabo said that the city had been established on the terraces and rose up to the acropolis along the beach. The city is attached to a small island, called Kap Krio. So two ports were built , east of the port was used for trade ships, west of the port was used for warships. Knidos was famous with its wines. Trade in Knidos was so developed that wines were exported. The city became an importance role in Hellen world in the 6th BC.
During 19th and 20th centuries, many western explorers and researches came to the peninsula to do researches. O. Bendorf (1881), G. Niemann (1881), J. Bent (1888), J.L. Myres (1893) and G. Cousin (1897) had done some researches in Knidos. Alfred Philippson defined topographic and geographic identification in the summer of 1904. W.M. Leake, on behalf of the Association of Dilletanti visited here to draw the structures of Knidos for publishing these pictures in 19th century. The discernible researches and excavations were carried out by C Newton on behalf of British Museum between 1857-59 and many structures have been transported to the British Museum. After 100 years later, G.E. Bean visited the Resadiye Peninsula and informed us about the history of the ancient settlement. The chairman of Iris Cornellia Love, on behalf of United States Long Island University started to excavate it, but the results of the researches and excavations have not been published due to the Turkish Government revoking authorization of the excavation in 1977. Ramazan Ozgan from Selcuk University on behalf of the Culture Ministry has excavated this historical place between 1988 and 2006. The works of restoration and environmental arrangements in Knidos were made by the Chairman of the Museum Governorship and by the contribution of scientist committee.
Knidos was built in terms of a square-shaped plan. The streets parallel to avenues. The ramparts and acropolis are on the main land. Famous Demeter Sanctuary and a large theatre are located on the east of the city. The stones of the theatre were transported to built the Dolmabahce Palace in Istanbul and the Palace of Mehmet Ali Pasa in Cairo. The ruins of the theatre's wall have been left today. 7 churches are in the city. One of the churches on the east west face the city has Arabian writings carved on the bottom floor. A well-preserved fresco villa from Hellenistic period is on the east of the city.
There is a Corinthian Temple on the north east and its architectural elements are in place. There is another temple which is named 'Round Temple Terrace'. It is located on the upper terrace, so the city can be seen from every angle. According to its location and antique sources, I.C.Love asserted that this temple might be the famous Aphrodite Temple. However, last researches shows us this is not true knowledge, it was not built for Aphrodite. Apollo Terrace is below the Round Temple Terrace. The seating rows in Apollo are noticeable. 'Apollo Karneios' festivals are held on behalf of God of Apollo at this terrace and the public watched the festival by sitting on the rows. There is also a marble altar with an inscription. The Ionic Propylon takes place between the Round Temple Terrace. Its basic ground and a few columns drums are left. A wide street has been uncovered on the east of the Propylon by the excavations between 1995 and 1996. A huge sewage system 'cloacamaxima' has been revealed. The ruins of the Pink Temple have been found on the south side of the Apollo Terrace.
The area of the Dionysus Terrace is located on the north side of the large port. This temple had been used as a church later. Stoa takes place from theatre and until the port and was built by marble blocks. The exterior face was covered by coloured marble 'Opus Sectile' and the reserves on the exterior side have found white and blue marble letter plates. The korinth style of columns have been found on the easterly and westerly sides of Stoa's rooms. Fire traces can be seen on them. With the excavations of the west side of Stoa, a staircase, a room decorated by marble, marble seating rows in the marble room and a base for placing statues on it. 'This statue is dedicated to the supreme Zeus by Teandros, the son of Similos' is written on the base. The names of 'Symmachos Aristokleidas' who belonged to a member of a well-known family were written on the inscription. The name of Aristokleidas was also written on the other inscriptions.
Revealing marble blocks with written inscriptions of 'Aristokleidas' and 'Adriano A' indicates the most remarkable clue for restoration of Stoa. A woman’s head statue resembles the statues in the Mausoleion. The most important artefacts that have been uncovered by the excavations carried out since 1996 are Hellenistic and Roman bronze and ceramics oil lamps, coins, ceramics kitchen utilities, some pieces of bronze and marble statutes. The other excavation area is 'Harbour Street'. It spreads out from a small harbour to upper terraces. The bottom of the street was made by square or rectangular shaped blocks. The south part of the Harbour, a structure foundation has been found. The inscription were found on architrave of the foundation and stated that' the foundation had been built by Baulakrates the City Water Manager to serve to public'. The excavations carried out at the area of Kap Kria in the city. The ruins of shops, workshops and housing with terraces system have been found. Settling down in this area was between the 4th century and the 5th century BC.