The famous historian Herodotus lived in Bodrum in 490-425 BC and was the first one to convey information about Marmaris Castle. Herodotus mentioned there was a castle and citizens who were living in Marmaris Castle in 3000 BC.

Marmaris Castle was surrounded by the armies of Alexander the Great who entered Anatolia in 334 BC, local citizens resisted the siege for a while and then they hide by moving to the mountains as they set the Marmaris castle on fire. Due to the strategic importance of the Castle, Alexander the Great left some an army there once it was restored. However this castle was besieged by Alexander the Great and is not the one that belongs to the Ottoman Empire, it must belong to the ancient settlement, located on the Marmaris Asar Hill.

The only written source about the castle belongs to the renowned Ottoman traveller, Evliya Celebi. In his famous work “Seyahatname” (Book of Travels), he mentions that Suleiman the Magnificent ordered the reconstruction of the castle before his expedition to Rhodes. That being the case the inscription on the entrance gate of the Castle indicates the year of 1522 and December 26th, 1522 as the date of Suleiman the Magnificent Rhodes conquest.

According to Evliya Celebi's information about the physical condition of the castle; The castle was built with the main rock on 4 citadels, properly made of cut stone, 400 feet in length of the walls, an inscription over the entrance of the door, one castle guard room in each towers overlooking the sea, a mosque without minaret inside with Imam, a Muezzin, a Castellan and a room for the other Castle officers. In addition to this, the year of 1545 that is read on the inscription indicates by Menzilhane (Halting-place) that was built in memory of Suleiman the Magnificent mother, Hafsa Sultan takes place on the way up to the castle. The Castle and the Halting-place are one of the few monumental structures of the region.

Charles Texier traveller and researcher from the 19th century mentioned a castle at Physkos ancient city looks over Marmaris Gulf. The ruins of this ancient city was talked about by Texier, extends until Marmaris port and the settlement at the port is formed by a segment of ancient city coastline on Asar Hill. Texier's assertion is proved and is determined by Marmaris Museum Director according to archaeological excavitions were done in 2000. As a result of excavations and researches, they found buried corpses at the wall of domicile. All archaeological findings  in this area are exhibited at Archaeological Park which is constructed by the great co-operation between Marmaris Museum Director and Marmaris Municipality in 2005 and open to visitors. With 14.10.1983/11th article of Cultural and Natural Heritage Preservation High Board, Marmaris Castle is registered as a necessary preservation cultural asset, as it was used for settlement area having 18 houses, a fountain, a cistern until 1979, the Ministry of Culture and Tourism expropriated the castle in 1979, the restoration started in 1980 and was completed in 1990, it is open to visitors since the 18th May 1991.